It took me a while to write this monthly review. September’s practically done. This tells me I need to tweak my post-A-bedtime routines a little, but that’s okay.
It’s been an eventful year, for sure. Plenty of stuff for my annual review. I’m sure it will make more sense later on. At the moment, I’m just trying to capture enough hooks to let me get back into the memories. =)
After several consultations with dietitians (both public and private), upgrading to a high chair, and plenty of self-feeding, A- has been gaining weight at a steady clip. Whew! I added a detailed feeding log and more visualizations to our tracker, of course. Data data data.
There’s only a slight downside to A’s improved growth curve. It turns out that I’ve been lifting her incorrectly, and the extra weight has led to de Quervain’s tenosynovitis in my left hand. No big deal. I’ve modified my lifting technique, I’m careful not to put too much stress on my thumb, and I sometimes use an inexpensive over-the-counter brace. Since I can’t avoid using that hand, it probably won’t go away until we’re done breastfeeding or A- is more independent, but maybe I can avoid making it worse.
Since A- has been growing well, I bought a second-hand Manduca. That’s become our go-to carrier. The Manduca doesn’t require an insert for small babies, so I was able to use it with A- right away. It feels more secure than the ring sling. I’d like to learn how to use the mei tai too.
We booked our flights home, yay! It’ll be our first time traveling with A-, and it’s going to be a loooong flight. Hoping that Korean Air lives up to its reputation for family-friendliness.
With an average of two hours a week of consulting, I managed to fill the pipeline, yay! I’ve volunteered to help them with something time-sensitive, so I’ll be busy for the next few months. A- is still top priority, of course.
Lots of social things, too. Dinner with W-‘s family, park time with Rachael and G-, a nice walk with Jen, Ewan, and E-, and the final classes for Peer Nutrition. Also, J- had her friends over, and they made pesto from the garden basil. And they cleaned up. Wow. W- and I sat on the deck and marvelled.
Life is good.
- Emacs News
- Daily: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- 2016-08-01a Week ending 2016-07-29 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-08-08a Week ending 2016-08-05 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-08-17a Week ending 2016-08-12 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-08-21c Week ending 2016-08-19 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-08-27a Week ending 2016-08-26 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-09-07a Week ending 2016-09-02 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-08-06b July 2016 – index card #monthly #review
- 2016-08-10a Life as a 33-year-old – index card #yearly #review
- 2016-08-12b Delta between 32 and 33 – index card #yearly #review
- 2016-08-21a Considering tech and travel – index card #travel #tech #mobile
- 2016-08-30b Thinking about the next 6 months – index card #planning
- 2016-08-31b Thinking about consulting directions – index card #consulting #planning #experiment
- 2016-08-31e Short-term experiments – index card #experiment
- 2016-08-31f What would I trade money for – index card #money
- 2016-08-12a Trust and medical professionals – index card #trust #decision #health
|Category||Last month %||This month %||Diff||h/wk||Diff h/wk|
|Unpaid work – Childcare||34.3||36.9||2.6||62.0||4.3|
|Discretionary – Social||1.5||2.5||0.9||4.1||1.6|
|Discretionary – Family||1.2||2.0||0.8||3.3||1.3|
|Discretionary – Play||0.5||0.5||-0.1||0.8||-0.1|
|Business – Build||0.2||0.1||-0.1||0.2||-0.2|
|Business – Connect||0.1||0.0||-0.1||0.0||-0.2|
|Business – Earn||1.4||1.3||-0.2||2.1||-0.3|
|Discretionary – Productive||4.8||4.6||-0.2||7.7||-0.4|